ERIC Number: ED168591
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1978
Reference Count: 0
The National Library of Canada: Twenty-five Years After.
Although calls for a National Library began as early as 1883, the cornerstone of the future national library was the Canadian Bibliographic Centre, established in 1950, which began work on the national bibliography and national union catalog. When the National Library of Canada was established in 1953 under the direction of W. Kaye Lamb, the National Library Act became effective and Canadian publishers were required by law to deposit two copies of each new book they published at the National Library. From 1956 to 1966, the library moved to a different building, the staff began cataloging the collections and organizing material transferred from the Library of Parliament, and the organizational structure took shape. In 1968, after another move to the National Library and Archives Building, the Office of Library Resources was created and Guy Sylvestre was appointed National Librarian. Since that time, various new divisions have been created to deal with changing needs, including the automation of library service. (CWM)
Publication Type: Historical Materials; Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: National Library of Canada, Ottawa (Ontario).
Note: Small print and photographs may not reproduce clearly