NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED137748
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1977-May
Pages: 14
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Professional Values from Reading: The Influence of Reading on the Instructional Methodology of Teachers.
Shirley, Fehl L.
The purposes of this study were to discover whether teachers can report the ways in which books, stories, poems, or articles have changed their concepts, attitudes, or behavior in relation to reading instruction, to learn the kinds of reading materials which have influenced their reading instruction, and to ascertain the instructional areas which were influenced. An introspective questionnaire was given to 97 teachers, the majority of whom were primary-level teachers, involved in a two-day conference on reading cues to creativity. Of these teachers, only 17% reported no professional influence from reading. The majority of the other 83% were more influenced by books than by periodicals in their instructional methodology, and more young teachers reported being influenced by reading than did older teachers. The seven materials mentioned most frequently were, in order: "Teacher" by Sylvia Ashton-Warner, "Teacher" (periodical), "Instructor" (periodical), "The Reading Teacher" (periodical), "The Naked Children" by Daniel Fader, "Schools without Failure" by William Glasser, "Summerhill" by A.S. Neill, and "Talking Time" by Louise B. Scott and J. J. Thompson. (JM)
Publication Type: Speeches/Meeting Papers
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: N/A
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Note: Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Reading Association (22nd, Miami, Florida, May 1977)