ERIC Number: ED120760
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1976
Reference Count: N/A
Spelling: An Element in Written Expression.
Hillerich, Robert L.
The program described in this book enables children and adults to spell 96 percent of the words they use correctly, to develop a spelling conscience and the necessary dictionary skills to enable correct spelling of the remaining 4 percent, and to provide the encouragement and practice that will lead to skill and enjoyment in manipulating language. Part 1 briefly describes the background of the English language, implications from the research, and the application of research to spelling. Part 2 provides an overview of a spelling program based on recent research, followed by a step-by-step description of the program's components. The program based on the latest research with language and children, is designed not only to teach spelling but to have students apply that skill in writing. (RB)
Descriptors: Elementary Education, Language Acquisition, Language Arts, Language Programs, Language Skills, Program Descriptions, Spelling, Spelling Instruction, Writing (Composition), Written Language
Charles E. Merrill Publishing Co., 1300 Alum Creek Drive, Columbus, Ohio 43216 ($5.28 paper)
Publication Type: Books
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A