ERIC Number: ED120165
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1976-Mar-19
Reference Count: N/A
The Milwaukee Lighted Schoolhouse Program and the Future in a Context of Community Education.
Wilson, George T.
In 1912 the Division of Municipal Recreation and Adult Education of the Milwaukee Public Schools was formed. Milwaukee then became known as the "City of the Lighted Schoolhouse". The Division was formed as a result of a law passed by the Wisconsin Legislature which permitted school boards to use school facilities for evening schools, vacation schools, reading rooms, library stations, debating clubs, gymnasiums, public playgrounds, public baths, and similar activities and accomodations. In 1912 two social centers and eight playgrounds met the needs of the extension department's program. Today there are 153 playgrounds and 142 centers, and the activities include day camps, nature centers, a farm, and camping sessions. The Divisions goals are people-centered and humanistic. Programs and activities are constantly being evaluated and changed to meet new needs. The work of the Division brought the Milwaukee System the National Sports Foundation 1974 Gold Medal Award for excellence in park and recreation services in American cities of over 250,000 population. Some of the programs to which the "Lighted Schoolhouse" is pointing in the future are the movements toward community education and leisure counseling. As outdoor education, special population, and other services have emerged in the past, so will these and others be the services of the future. (RC)
Publication Type: Speeches/Meeting Papers
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: Wisconsin