NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED118254
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1975
Pages: 26
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Day Care Arrangements of Low Income Single Parents.
Tucker, Mary K.; Zell, Laverne C.
This study was designed to indicate the level of expressed demand for day care among low income women heading one-parent families in Cleveland and to determine the extent to which this demand is being satisfactorily fulfilled. A total of 123 low income single mothers with children under 14 years of age were contacted by telephone and interviewed using a 12-item questionnaire. Analysis of data indicated that 85 percent of the sample used day care services and a majority of the remaining 15 percent said that they would find employment if day care was available at little or no cost. Of those using day care, only 18 percent made use of day care centers and more than 33 percent used relatives as sitters. Satisfaction with day care arangements varied with type used: the use of day care centers generated the highest rate of satisfaction and the use of an unrelated sitter in the child's home was rated most frequently as unsatifactory. Alleged dissatisfaction with day care centers was based on absence of perceived benefits to the child, costs of care, day care setting and restrictions on eligibility. Satisfaction with day care centers appeared unrelated to income and day care costs. Four recommendations to meet current demand and interest in day care centers were made based on (1) the findings of the present study which indicated high need, satisfaction and preference for day care centers, and (2) a survey of the status of day care services in Cleveland. (GO)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: N/A
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Cleveland State Univ., OH. Inst. of Urban Studies.