NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED117056
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1975-Dec-9
Pages: 8
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
Professional Sequence.
Illinois State Univ., Normal. Coll. of Education.
Professional Sequence at Illinois State University (ISU) is a self-paced, competency-based eight semester-hour program with an enrollment of approximately 1,400 students per semester. It is designed to provide preservice secondary school teachers with an integrated set of teaching skills as well as a systematic set of analytic skills. The competencies involve instructional methods, general educational knowledge, and reading methods. Professional Sequence instruction is organized in a series of self-instructional packages which have been constructed by the ISU faculty. Students are given credit for each package when they have demonstrated the required level of competence by either performance, written work, or tests. Daily computer printouts list results of evaluations submitted during the previous 24 hours. Each student's cumulative progress is reported weekly by computer printout. Following a series of orientation sessions, the student works individually with faculty members of his/her choice in the Sequence advisement room. Approximately 70 percent of the program is required. The remaining 30 percent is earned by completing optional packages, independent study, or by taking mini-courses. Thus, students are able to work at a pace suited to their needs. The teaching skills component of the program is climaxed by a series of five microteaching experiences, all clinically analyzed. In addition, students may choose to participate in a public school experience or a clinical experience in the laboratory school prior to student teaching. (Author)
Publication Type: Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: N/A
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Illinois State Univ., Normal. Coll. of Education.