ERIC Number: ED102893
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1973
Reference Count: N/A
Granted Education. A Strategy to Increase the Return on Public Spending for Post-Secondary Education in Oregon. (Short Form--Conclusions and Recommendations).
Wish, John; And Others
This study grew out of a desire to look at the reality of higher education within one state, one which has an outstanding record of public support for higher education, i.e., Oregon. It also seeks to complement the study conducted earlier in the year, which recommends further exploration of alternative ways of financing higher education. Briefly, what the authors tried to do was: (1) describe clearly the important components in state subsidies for higher education, (2) ascertain the relative efficiency and effectiveness of the different types of state subsidies and suggest shifts of funds among them which could produce superior results; (3) show how one particular alternative mix of subsidies could be implemented successfully in Oregon when introduced gradually over a number of years; (4) stimulate serious discussion of the means and ends in state subsidies to postsecondary education. At present, more than 98 percent of state and local tax funds are granted directly to the college, with the remainder--less than 2 percent--going to students in the form of grants, cash awards, or as the state's backing of student loans. The author proposed that this proportion be increased to about three-fifths of the total, with a corresponding decrease in direct state funding of the institution. The proposed shifts in funding would take place gradually during successive two-year periods that would allow ample time for research, reflection, and adaptation. (Author/PG)
Descriptors: Educational Finance, Financial Policy, Financial Support, Higher Education, Postsecondary Education, State Aid, Statewide Planning, Student Costs, Student Loan Programs, Student Needs
Consumer Research Center, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403 ($2.00)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Sponsor: Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, New York, NY.; EXXON Education Foundation, New York, NY.
Authoring Institution: Oregon Univ., Eugene. Consumer Rights Research Center.
Identifiers - Location: Oregon