NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED101816
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1974-Dec
Pages: 32
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
A Comparison of Two Methods of Evaluation and Its Effect on Attrition and Final Grades in General Biology.
Belzer, Thomas J.
This study correlates the relationship between varying methods in student evaluation and its effect on student achievement and attrition. The sample studied consisted of 230 students enrolled in three separate semesters of General Biology 11A at Pasadena City College in 1972, 1973, and 1974. The earlier students were given longer exams over three or four weeks of material. The 1974 class was given frequent quizzes over smaller amounts of material. All three courses were taught by the same instructor. Results indicate that A and B grades constituted 40 percent of all grades given in the 1972 and 1973 semesters; C and D grades constituted the remaining 60 percent. These proportions were reversed for the 1974 semester, in which A and B grades represented 60 percent and C and D grades represented 40 percent. Furthermore, attrition percentage dropped from an average of 26 percent in the 1972 and 1973 semesters to approximately 12 percent during the spring 1974 semester. From these findings it seems that one of the crucial factors influencing final grades and attrition is the method used in student evaluation. Results are graphed and are compared using chi-square as a test of significance. A brief review of the literature relating to grading and evaluation systems is presented along with a 27 item bibliography. (DC)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: N/A
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Note: Practicum presented to Nova University in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Doctor of Education degree