NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED099936
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1974-Aug
Pages: 13
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
The Undergraduate Curriculum in Theatre History.
Elwood, William R.
Theatre history programs in the medium sized or large university need to be reorganized at the undergraduate level for relevancy in the twentieth century. One possible curriculum would require that 80 percent of the courses taken be in dramatic literature, theatre history, theory, and criticism, while the remaining 20 percent consist of courses involving practical theatre aspects. Since this B.A. program might be considered undesirable by campus theatre directors and acting coaches as well as by employers of high school drama teachers, two other program options are possible. The first would involve double the traditional requirement of theatre history courses plus courses in practical theatre, theatre historiography, and theatre history practicum. The second option would retain basic courses in theatre history and practical theatre aspects, with the bulk of the program consisting of theatre historiography and theatre history practicum. These last two programs would train students for teaching and involvement in educational filmmaking, public relations, or other endeavors consistent with the jet age. (JM)
Publication Type: Speeches/Meeting Papers
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: N/A
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Note: Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Theatre Association (Minneapolis, Minnesota, August 1974)