NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED073501
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1972-Dec
Pages: 20
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
An Investigation of Curricular Programs and Procedures for Summer Speech Institutes.
Carstens, Jerald
The results of a survey conducted in 1971-72 to examine the nature and scope of high school speech institutes are discussed. The author examined responses from 52 schools (out of a total of 82 to whom questionnaires had been sent) on such factors as institute dates, financing, events included, staffing, and recruitment. Although 20 different events were listed as being part of at least one institute, debate was the most frequently included event. The institutes were considered self-supporting by 69 percent of the schools, while the remaining 31 percent partially subsidized the institutes. Depending on the length of the institute, most respondents charged between $26 and $75 for tuition. The author concluded that high school summer speech institutes at colleges and universities can prove to be a valuable method for providing speech training for high school students and, at the same time, for attracting students to the institution and to the field of speech communication. (Author/RN)
Publication Type: N/A
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: N/A
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Note: Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Speech Communication Assn. (58th, Chicago, December 27-30, 1972)