NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED073346
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1972-Aug
Pages: 29
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Comparative Structuring Influence of Neighborhoods, Social Clique and Church Groups on Interpersonal Communication of Farm Information in Two Missouri Communities, 1956-1966.
Lionberger, Herbert F.; Yeh, Chii-jeng
A study was conducted concerning: (1) the manner in which neighborhoods, social cliques and church groups structure interpersonal communication of information about farming in two agricultural Missouri communities--Prairie, economically stable, and Ozark, undergoing rapid change; and (2) how this changed between 1956 and 1966. Interviews were conducted with 238 and 227 farmers (1956 and 1966 respectively) in Ozark and 218 and 174 (1956 and 1966 respectively) in Prairie. Each was asked to whom he talked most frequently about farming, from whom he obtained general farm information, where he obtained first and additional information about new farm practices he had adopted, the sources that were most influential in his adoption decisions, with whom he exchanged work, and the persons with whom he associated most closely or regarded as his best friends. The unit of analysis was the dyadic relationship of one farmer naming another rather than farmers as individuals. Results included the following: (1) there was a continued inclination for the proportion of opportunities to obtain farm information from fellow group members to persist at a much higher level than in the cross-group situations; (2) social cliques took the lead as a retaining influence in the low-importance relationships, dispossessing neighborhoods from this position; and (3) neighborhoods showed a marked tenacity of the retaining power. (KM)
Publication Type: N/A
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: N/A
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Missouri Univ., Columbia. Dept. of Rural Sociology.
Note: Paper presented at the Rural Sociological Society meetings, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, August 1972; from the Missouri Agricultural Experiment Station Journal Series