NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED048489
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1971-Jan-16
Pages: 11
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
National Advisory Council on Vocational Education. Fourth Report.
National Advisory Council on Vocational Education, Washington, DC.
This report of the National Advisory Council, a committee of 21 persons from labor, management, and education, outlines the problems associated with the present system of financing vocational education and presents recommendations for overcoming these problems. The problems identified were: (1) Voters are more willing to support educational programs benefiting all students, and the costs of vocational education programs are often more expensive than a college preparatory or liberal arts course, (2) The federal and state assistance intended to be an incentive often becomes a ceiling because many school districts provide vocational programs only when they are reimbursed, (3) A tight definition of vocational education often becomes a straight jacket, (4) The state plan is not a viable planning instrument, and (5) The Federal Government has little power to affect the achievement of national objectives. To alleviate these problems, the council recommends that a new technique in federal-state relationships be adopted in which a support component, comprising 75 percent of the funds, would come from Congress, and the remaining 25 percent would be an incentive component to be allocated by the Office of Education in proportion to each state's efforts to achieve the national objective. Other recommendations are included. (SB)
Publication Type: N/A
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: N/A
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: National Advisory Council on Vocational Education, Washington, DC.
Identifiers - Laws, Policies, & Programs: Vocational Education Amendments 1968