ERIC Number: ED031003
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1968
Reference Count: N/A
Preventive Rehabilitation; A Promise for the Future.
Rhode Island State Dept. of Education, Providence. Div. of Vocational-Technical Education.
To provide preventive treatment, counselors from the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) worked through a school project to serve adolescents with disabilities which might make job adjustment difficult. During the 5-year project, over 5,000 adolescents were referred; 1,800 or 40% of whom were in the school project; more than 1,000 or 55% were accepted for treatment, and the other 45% were being processed. Compared to clients in the traditional program, clients in the school project were younger, with about half 14 and 15 years old. All received diagnostic services. The most frequent disability was found to be emotional disturbance; the next most frequent were orthopedic impairments and mental retardation. Special treatment facilities offered included a college program, a day care program at a private mental hospital, community workshops for retarded clients, a group therapy program for emotionally disturbed clients and their parents, and a camp for emotionally disturbed clients. Interviews evaluating the project indicated that the DVR counselor played the crucial role in its functioning; ratings of the counselors indicated that the DVR counselor's relationship with the school guidance counselor was important. Of a sample of 91 active clients, most had been referred at age 14 or 15 for psychological problems. Of nearly 2,300 cases closed during the project, only about half were employed and half were closed after referral. (JD)
Descriptors: Camping, Case Records, Counseling, Counselor Role, Day Care, Emotional Disturbances, Exceptional Child Research, Interdisciplinary Approach, Medical Evaluation, Parent Counseling, Participant Characteristics, Physical Disabilities, Program Costs, Program Evaluation, Psychological Evaluation, Sheltered Workshops, State Programs, Vocational Rehabilitation
Publication Type: N/A
Education Level: N/A
Sponsor: Rehabilitation Services Administration (DHEW), Washington, DC.
Authoring Institution: Rhode Island State Dept. of Education, Providence. Div. of Vocational-Technical Education.
Identifiers - Location: Rhode Island