ERIC Number: ED390419
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1994-Dec
Reference Count: N/A
Norwalk Public Library: A Historical Overview from 1866 to 1994.
Contreras, Sarah A.
This document chronicles the evolution of the Norwalk (Ohio) Public Library (established in 1866) from a small collection in an upper room in the Old Mansion Block building to a Carnegie facility which has been renovated to meet today's needs, including accessibility to the handicapped. Funding for the first reading room was provided by the Alert Club, an organization supporting Civil War Soldiers. Highlights of the report include the story of Norwalk's successful pursuit of a Carnegie grant in 1902, the contributions of various library directors down through the years, and other milestones in funding (local tax support became a source of income in the 1930s) and services (the first summer children's programming was offered in 1925). The study also shows how the library began to prepare for "the information highway" by becoming automated in 1993 with a Galaxy computer system. The appendices contain a copy of a piece of correspondence from Andrew Carnegie, a floor plan, and several copies of photographs, newspaper clippings, and board meeting minutes. (Contains 44 references.) (BEW)
Publication Type: Dissertations/Theses; Historical Materials
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers: Carnegie (Andrew); Ohio (Norwalk)
Note: Master's Research Paper, Kent State University. Some photocopied figures and photographs may not reproduce clearly.