ERIC Number: ED366164
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1993-Sep
Reference Count: N/A
Views on Inclusion and Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities. Synthesis Report 7.
Ysseldyke, James E., Ed.; Thurlow, Martha L., Ed.
This monograph provides an overview of the issues surrounding inclusion and testing accommodations for students with disabilities and presents six papers discussing the issues. "Including Students with Disabilities in Systemic Efforts To Measure Outcomes: Why Ask Why?" (Bob Algozzine) argues that excluding any student from testing violates the spirit and practice of full inclusion. "Inclusion and Adaptation in Assessment of Special Needs Students in Arizona" (Paul H. Koehler) describes the Arizona Student Assessment Program, which has tried to include nearly all students with Individualized Education Programs by developing modified (mediated) forms of assessments. "Inclusion of Children and Youth Who Are Hearing Impaired and Deaf in Outcomes Assessment" (Barbara L. Loeding and Jerry B. Crittenden) contends that accommodations and participation in state and national testing should depend upon the deaf student's primary mode of communication, prior use of an interpreter, and functioning level or amount of hearing loss. "Inclusion and Accommodation: 'You Can Tell What Is Important to a Society by the Things It Chooses To Measure'" (Jack Merwin) points out that excluding students with disabilities from state and national testing affects group averages less than excluding other subgroups, such as children from low socioeconomic status groups. "Consequences and Incentives: Implications for Inclusion/Exclusion Decisions Regarding Students with Disabilities in State and National Assessment Programs" (Daniel J. Reschly) explores three inclusion/exclusion policy alternatives. "Inclusion and Accommodation in Assessment at the Margins" (Maynard C. Reynolds) suggests that acceptable test results may be gathered from 95 percent of pupils and that the other 5 percent (students in special education) may be assessed through other means. (Each paper contains references.) (JDD)
Descriptors: Adaptive Testing, Deafness, Disabilities, Educational Assessment, Educational Philosophy, Educational Policy, Elementary School Students, Elementary Secondary Education, Hearing Impairments, Inclusive Schools, Mainstreaming, Outcomes of Education, Secondary School Students, Student Evaluation, Testing Accommodations, Testing Problems, Testing Programs
University of Minnesota, National Center on Educational Outcomes, 350 Elliott Hall, 75 E. River Rd., Minneapolis, MN 55455 ($15).
Publication Type: Collected Works - General
Education Level: N/A
Sponsor: Special Education Programs (ED/OSERS), Washington, DC.
Authoring Institution: National Association of State Directors of Special Education, Washington, DC.; Saint Cloud State Univ., MN.; National Center on Educational Outcomes, Minneapolis, MN.; Minnesota Univ., Minneapolis. Coll. of Education.
Note: For other reports in this series, see EC 302 769-773.