NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED365804
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1993-Sep
Pages: 12
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Iowa's Adult Basic Education Programs: A Survey of Learner Demographics and Preliminary Skill Levels.
Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System, San Diego, CA.
A study examined the demographics and preliminary skill levels of adults enrolled in programs of adult special education, adult basic education (ABE), and English as a second language (ESL) in Iowa. Data were collected from a representative (but not statistically random) sampling of 495 ABE participants from Iowa's 15 community colleges. The major findings were as follows: (1) the population served was balanced with respect to gender; (2) 65% were below 36 years of age; (3) 80% were enrolled in ABE programs; (4) 77% had fewer than 12 years of education; (5) participants with more than 12 years of education or with college diplomas were enrolled almost exclusively in ESL programs; (6) 12% had fewer than 7 years of education; (7) 84% spoke English, and the remaining 16% spoke Vietnamese, Spanish, Chinese, or other languages; (8) 67% were Caucasian, 14% Black, 5% Hispanic, and 11% Asian or Indo-Chinese; (9) 43% of the special education students can recognize certain words and phrases; (10) ESL programs are serving three main ethnic groups (Indo-Chinese, Asians, and Hispanics); and (11) nearly half of the ABE learners can read at a high school entry level but have significantly lower math skill levels. (Appended are a test score interpretation table and guidelines for interpreting tables included in the document.) (MN)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: Iowa State Dept. of Education, Des Moines.
Authoring Institution: Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System, San Diego, CA.
Identifiers: Iowa