ERIC Number: ED365095
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1991-Oct
Reference Count: N/A
History and Future of the HEA Title VI. NFLC Position Papers.
Lambert, Richard D.
The history of Title VI of the Higher Education Act, having to do with language education and area studies, is chronicled by an educator closely involved in development of the legislation. The review focuses on four themes that have received the most attention: debates, largely outside the field, on whether to continue federal funding for Title VI; the appropriate level of funding; a series of reform movements attempting to redirect or redefine the legislation's language and area studies mission; and attempts to supplement Title VI by adding non-area-oriented purposes and clienteles. The current relevance of these issues is also discussed. It is concluded that while the original goal of the act was to create a group of language and area studies specialists who were committed to teaching, this portion of the act has been changed over time to try to broaden the occupational goals of these graduates, balance the disciplines represented, spread further into the undergraduate level, serve clienteles outside those originally targeted, and adopt a particular form of language testing as a standard. Add-ons have also broadened coverage. However, the basic purposes and forms of Title VI are seen to have remained relatively stable since inception. (MSE)
Descriptors: Area Studies, Educational Change, Educational History, Educational Legislation, Federal Legislation, Higher Education, International Studies, Policy Formation, Public Policy, Second Languages, Testing
NFLC, Johns Hopkins University, 1619 Massachusetts Ave., N.W., Washington, DC 20036.
Publication Type: Opinion Papers; Speeches/Meeting Papers
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: Johns Hopkins Univ., Washington, DC. National Foreign Language Center.
Identifiers: Higher Education Act Title VI
Note: Paper presented at the Conference on the Reauthorization of Higher Education Act Title VI (Pittsburgh, PA, March 2, 1990).