PDF pending restoration
ERIC Number: ED350055
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1992-Sep
Reference Count: 0
A Road to Ruin. A Report on the Condition of Facilities at Illinois Community Colleges.
Illinois Community Coll. Board, Springfield.
In February 1992, a survey was conducted of all 50 public colleges in the Illinois Community College System (ICCS) to gather information pertinent to the condition of the colleges' physical plants, such as financial data for fiscal year (FY) 1991 and budget estimates for FY 1992. Results of the survey, based on responses from 42 of the colleges, included the following: (1) the total replacement cost for the responding colleges was $1.51 billion for on-campus facilities, and $34.3 million for college-owned branch campus and extension centers; (2) the average replacement cost per gross square foot was calculated at $87, a figure lower than anticipated due to the colleges' extensive use of "temporary" buildings; (3) over 37% of the campuses indicated that efforts had been made to determine the extent of the deferred maintenance problem, with 66% using facilities audits, and the remaining 34% using life cycle component evaluations and other methods; (4) most ratings of the condition of campus buildings fell in the "adequate" category, while those of college infrastructure fell in the "needs some modification" category; (5) over half of the colleges indicated that their infrastructure had some "urgent need" for maintenance or renewal; (6) the colleges had budgeted a total of $13.4 million for renewal and replacement for FY 1992, a figure 26% higher than actual expenditures in FY 1991; and (7) systemwide, an estimated $32.9 million was needed to ensure that no deferred maintenance backlog existed at the end of FY 1992. An overview of the ICCS, the survey instrument, and a list of the responding colleges are appended. (MAB)
Descriptors: Budgets, Capital Outlay (for Fixed Assets), Community Colleges, Costs, Deferred Maintenance, Educational Facilities, Educational Facilities Improvement, Educational Facilities Planning, Facility Case Studies, Facility Inventory, Facility Requirements, Questionnaires, School Maintenance, State Surveys, Statewide Planning, Two Year Colleges
Publication Type: Reports - Evaluative; Tests/Questionnaires
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: Illinois Community Coll. Board, Springfield.
Identifiers: Illinois Community College System