NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED328334
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1990-Oct
Pages: 23
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
CLAST Pass Rates after One Year for Fall Term 1989 First-Time Examinees at Miami-Dade Community College. Research Report No. 90-22R.
Einspruch, Eric
Determining the overall pass rates on the College-Level Academic Skills Test (CLAST) for a given cohort of students involves an analysis of both the first-time examinee performance and subsequent pass rates of students who failed the test and retook it at a later date. Two increases in the scores required to pass the CLAST in 1986 and 1989 have complicated the process of determining the actual pass rates for any given cohort of students and of predicting future pass rates. A study was conducted at Miami-Dade Community College (M-DCC) to examine the impact of increased cut-off scores on eventual pass rates, analyze the percentage of students failing any of the CLAST subtests following the 1989 raise in pass scores, determine the effectiveness of the models used to predict pass rates after the cut-off scores had been raised, and predict what the pass rates will be a year after the third raise in cut-off scores goes into effect in fall 1991. Study findings included the following: (1) 41.3% of the 2,713 first-time examinees in 1989 passed all four subtests on their first attempt, and another 15.3% passed when they retook the CLAST on one of the following two administrations, bringing the total pass rate for the cohort to 56.6%; (2) 49.3% of the examinees who initially failed one subtest passed all four subtests within the next two test administrations, as compared to only 19.6% of those who initially failed two subtests; (3) higher passing scores have led to an increase in the proportion of examinees initially failing multiple subtests; and (4) pass rates for the fall 1989 examinees very closely approximated the predictions previously made. (GFW)
Publication Type: Reports - Evaluative
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Miami-Dade Community Coll., FL. Office of Institutional Research.
Identifiers: Miami Dade Community College FL