NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED253350
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1985-Feb-6
Pages: 25
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Becoming and Being a Teen Parent: A Literature Review.
Carlson, Helen L.
The purpose of this report is to give an updated perspective on teenage parents. It is suggested that, from the late 1960's to the early 1980's, thinking about the issue of adolescent parenting has shifted away from viewing teen parents primarily as intrapersonally and interpersonally deficient, from conducting teen-parent studies in a bivariate linear manner, from regarding teen-parent programs only at the micro-level, from studying only the teen mother, and from gathering global measures of development. The discussion focuses on these shifts by examining: (1) causes and effects of teen parenting; (2) programs and support systems designed to meet the needs of adolescent parents; (3) studies focused on the role of the teen father; and (4) research related to in-depth analyses of dyadic interactions between teen parents and their young children. Implications are drawn for those whose role it is to support adolescent families. To gain information, approximately 300 sources were reviewed. Over 90 percent of these sources either discussed the causes and effects of teen parenting or reviewed programs for adolescent parents. The remaining 10 percent described the role of the teen father and the dyadic interactions between teen parents and their children. Recommendations based on the review are offered. (RH)
Publication Type: Information Analyses
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: Minnesota Univ., Minneapolis. Graduate School.
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers: Causal Influences; Dyadic Interaction Analysis; Research Trends