NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED245209
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1984-Apr-13
Pages: 38
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
Motives for Earning a Secondary Teaching Credential: A Study of English/Language Arts Student Teachers.
Bennett, Susan G.
A study surveyed 64 teaching credential candidates in secondary school English, journalism, and reading at a large public university, to determine their motivation for entering the teaching profession. The study sought to confirm or refute the popular notion that students choose teaching because they cannot qualify for a "better" career. The responses were divided into two groups: those listing positive and those listing negative motives. The results indicated that 20% of the respondents did, in fact, admit to having motives for pursuing a teaching career consistent with negative stereotypes of teachers. These motives, however, were not statistically correlated with age, sex, or grade point average. The remaining 80% of respondents indicated that teaching was a long-standing, preferred occupation choice. In addition, these respondents had grade point averages exceeding 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. The results refute the popular opinion that teachers are academically inferior and uncommitted. (The questionnaire and individual responses to the motivation question are included.) (HTH)
Publication Type: Reports - Research; Speeches/Meeting Papers
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers: N/A
Note: Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Council of Teachers of English Spring Conference (3rd, Columbus, OH, April 12-14, 1984).