NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED243124
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1984
Pages: 8
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
Journal Article Publication Rates.
Faas, Larry A.
A study compared the publication rates of solicited and unsolicited articles in refereed and nonrefereed journals. Editors from 98 psychology and education journals supplied information regarding the number of solicited and unsolicited articles they received each year, length of time between acceptance and publication, and designation of the journal as refereed or nonrefereed. Unsolicited articles made up 96.5% of the 31,077 articles received for possible publication in 1978. The remaining 3.5% were written by invitation from the journal's staff members or officers of their sponsoring organizations. Twenty percent of the articles received were accepted for publication. Of the articles that were published, 82.5% were unsolicited. Acceptance rates for unsolicited articles ranged from .2% to nearly 100%. The average time between acceptance and publication was six months. Eighty-three percent of the editors reported that their journals were refereed, while the remaining editors reported that the review of unsolicited articles was handled by their staff. The findings suggest that authors should examine the editorial practices of a journal before submitting. The chance that an article will be published approaches 100% if it is written by invitation, while the chance drops to 17% when the article is unsolicited. Large numbers of rejects were assured as one-third of the articles were submitted to only six journals. However, 25% of the journals accepted over 50% of the articles they received, indicating that there is clearly an opportunity to publish carefully placed articles. (HTH)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers: Editorial Policy