NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED238736
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1983-Oct
Pages: 96
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
Utilization of Microcomputers in Elementary Mathematics. Final Report.
Sigurdson, Sol E.; Olson, Al T.
Described is a project in which microcomputers were used by seven teachers in grades 2-6 in Edmonton, Alberta. The microcomputer was placed in each classroom for one-half day every day for a full school year. Teachers were asked to use it at least 70% of the time for practice in mathematics with individual students, using the Milliken Math Sequences program or several other drill programs. The remaining 30% of the time was spent in literacy, logic games, language arts, or other appropriate uses. Three distinct patterns of usage were detected: parallel practice, paralleling regular lessons; daily practice, with the program changed daily/weekly to correspond to regular lessons; and spiral practice, involving varied practice activities. No judgments were made on the relative effectiveness of each pattern, but reactions were very positive. Overall, the effect on mathematics achievement favored the project group over a control group. Attitude toward mathematics was unaffected except in grade 2. An expected gain in knowledge of computers was noted, but no change in attitude toward computers occurred. However, students in the project group developed a dislike for making mistakes both in pencil and paper work and computer work. (Author/MNS)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: Researchers; Practitioners
Language: English
Sponsor: Alberta Dept. of Education, Edmonton. Planning Services Branch.
Authoring Institution: Edmonton Public Schools (Alberta).
Identifiers: Alberta (Edmonton); Mathematics Education Research
Note: Contains some light and broken type.