ERIC Number: ED235823
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1983
Reference Count: 0
The Polish Collection at the Alliance College Library in Cambridge Springs, PA: The Origins of the Collection in 1950, Its Rapid Development in the 1970's and the Introduction of the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) in 1982.
Kozaczka, Stanley J.
This essay outlines the development, present condition, and future direction of the 20,000-volume Polish research collection at Alliance College, located in Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania. Alliance College was founded in 1912 by the Polish National Alliance (PNA), a life insurance fraternal organization. In 1931 its entire library collection was destroyed by fire. The Polish collection was rebuilt and housed in a separate room beginning in 1950. In 1953 a decision was made to begin reporting its special holdings to the National Union Catalog (NUC) of the Library of Congress (LC) and, in 1961, it was decided to recatalog the entire holdings according to LC classification and subject headings. Relocation to larger quarters occurred in 1970. This was followed by a period of rapid growth due to federal grants in support of the college's year abroad program in Poland and in support of the library's independent book exchanges with Polish institutions. In 1982/83 the library received OCLC services. A total of 2,273 titles were cataloged and placed online, and the entire periodical collection was also added to the online Pennsylvania Union List of Serials. A table showing the number of titles held within each LC subject classification is provided. (Author/ESR)
Publication Type: Reports - Descriptive; Historical Materials
Education Level: N/A
Audience: Media Staff; Practitioners
Authoring Institution: Alliance Coll., Cambridge Springs, PA.
Identifiers: Alliance College PA; Book Exchange; Library Development; Library of Congress Subject Headings; OCLC; Poland