ERIC Number: ED213361
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1981-Oct
Reference Count: 0
EOP and SAA Undergraduates Who Left UC Davis without a Degree.
Undergraduate students enrolled in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) or the Student Affirmative Action (SAA) program at the University of California (UC), Davis, who withdrew before graduation were surveyed in 1981. Attention was directed to the respondents' educational experiences after leaving, their current employment, and their feelings about enrollment at the University. Analysis of responses from 186 former students, or 16 percent of the total population, indicated the following: 75 percent enrolled at another educational institution after leaving UC Davis; about 25 percent of these transfer students had earned degrees, and most of the remainder were still working toward a degree; job satisfaction among employed respondents was mixed; about 50 percent are working in their chosen career field, slightly over 50 percent are satisfied with their jobs, and about 20 percent are dissatisfied; a majority left UC Davis because of academic factors, and many found the coursework difficult and competitive; SAA students were more likely to have left for job-related reasons, or because of family responsibilities; and ethnic minority students often felt isolated at UC Davis. It is recommended that outreach programs in secondary schools be increased, that high priority be given to support services for EOP and SAA Students, and that a means be found to increase social interaction among EOP and SAA students. A bibliography and sample interview form are appended. (Author/SW)
Descriptors: Academic Persistence, Affirmative Action, Ancillary School Services, Dropout Research, Economically Disadvantaged, Employment Patterns, Higher Education, Institutional Research, Job Satisfaction, Minority Groups, Questionnaires, School Holding Power, Student Adjustment, Student Attrition, Student College Relationship, Undergraduate Students, Vocational Followup
Publication Type: Reports - Research; Tests/Questionnaires
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: California Univ., Davis. Office of Student Affairs.
Identifiers: Educational Opportunities Program; University of California Davis