ERIC Number: ED211239
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1980-Mar-31
Reference Count: 0
Assessment of Title VII Bilingual Education Needs in the AIBEC Service Area: 1980-81.
Martinez Carrillo, Federico
A total of 150 questionnaires from directors, teachers, and paraprofessional personnel were used to ascertain local conditions and needs of 20 American Indian Title VII Projects and other educational programs within the American Indian Bilingual Education Center (AIBEC) service area in Arizona, Utah and New Mexico, and to assist AIBEC in making decisions concerning the types of training areas or other services which should receive priority in development and availability. A follow-up effort consisted of on-site visits and telephone interviews. Each project was asked to identify its training needs and the extent thereof and university/college courses which would help meet the needs of the bilingual staff. Navajo was the language reported for 87% of the students, 79% of whom were found in the Arizona projects and 21% of whom were found in the New Mexico projects. In-service workshops were preferred by 72% of the respondents as the type of activity for addressing training needs. The remaining 28% chose seminars or institutes. Results of the survey for each Title VII Project and other educational programs in AIBEC's service area who responded to the questionnaire were summarized, and the five training areas most frequently identified for each staff member were listed in the order of priority. (CM)
Descriptors: Administrators, American Indian Education, American Indian Reservations, American Indians, Bilingual Education, Education Service Centers, Educational Needs, Elementary Secondary Education, Instructional Improvement, Language Dominance, Language Usage, Navajo, Needs Assessment, Paraprofessional Personnel, Parent Education, Training Methods
Publication Type: Reports - Evaluative
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: New Mexico Univ., Albuquerque. American Indian Bilingual Education Center.
Identifiers: Navajo (Nation); Pueblo (People); United States (Southwest)