ERIC Number: ED205094
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1981-May
Reference Count: 0
Perceptions of Organizational and Political Environments: Results of a National Survey of Institutional Research/Planning Officers at Large Public Universities. AIR Forum 1981 Paper.
Storrar, Sandra J.
The relationship between career orientation of college institutional research/planning officers and perceptions of organizational and political environments was investigated, based on a survey of 154 officers in public doctoral-granting institutions. Of the 106 respondents, 53 percent were directors of institutional research/planning; 26 percent were vice presidents or vice chancellors, assistant or associate vice presidents, and assistant directors of institutional research/planning; and 21 percent were some other category. A strong indication of role conflict in institutional research and planning officers of the large public universities was found. This group perceived their actual roles as high on political responsiveness and high on political advocacy; they preferred a role directly opposite: a role of policy advocacy with low political responsiveness. Identifying infrequently with a career orientation of institutional research/planning specialist, respondents selected more often an orientation of institutional team member and general administrator in higher education. Most respondents perceived the authority structure of their institutions as one of a weak hierarchy and their work settings to have a low degree of structure with a moderate adherence to rules and regulations. Harmon's (1969) framework was used to categorize ways in which the respondents intereacted with their political environment. It is concluded that academic and professional development programs need to stress interaction skills of political astuteness, communication, organizational behavior, and a sense of professional identity. A bibliography is appended. (SW)
Descriptors: Administrators, College Administration, College Planning, Higher Education, Institutional Research, Interprofessional Relationship, Organizational Climate, Political Influences, Power Structure, Professional Development, Researchers, Role Conflict, Role Perception, State Universities, Surveys
Publication Type: Reports - Research; Speeches/Meeting Papers
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers: AIR Forum
Note: Paper presented at the Annual Forum of the Association for Institutional Research (21st, Minneapolis, MN, May 17-20, 1981).