NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED198586
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1979-Apr
Pages: 55
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
The Status of Small Group Discussion Instruction and Curricula in the Illinois Community and Junior Colleges.
Parcells, Frank E.
A survey questionnaire was sent to speech instructors at 55 public and private community and junior colleges in Illinois to determine the status of small group discussion instruction and curricula. In addition, careful examination was given to course catalogs and general sources that have a direct relationship to the community and junior colleges in Illinois. Results indicated that (1) a group discussion course was offered in 52% of the community and junior colleges, while the remaining 48% have no type of small group course; (2) all of the colleges offering a small group discussion course listed it as part of a specific department; (3) the most significant areas of the course were problem solving techniques, leadership, decision making, group processes, and observation and evaluation; (4) of the textbooks identified, the E. and N. Borman, J. Brilhart and the B. Patton and K. Griffin texts were the most popular; and (5) all instructors responded that students were provided with an explanation of the theory, concepts, and processes of small group discussion during the basic course, as well as participating in discussions during class time. (HOD)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers: Illinois