NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED187896
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1978-Jan-13
Pages: 352
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
An Assessment of Need for Developing and Implementing Technical and Skilled Worker Training for the Solar Energy Industry. Final Report.
Orsak, Charles G., Jr.; And Others
The objective of this project was to determine the need for manpower training in solar energy technology and report it on a regional and/or state basis. Three basic questions were to be answered by the project: (1) Based on a survey of solar heating and cooling systems equipment, what types of systems are being manufactured? (2) What is the quantitative demand for workers to install and maintain such equipment? and (3) What skills must be possessed by solar workers? Among the findings reported was that the typical installation time for a domestic hot water system is forty man hours, plus an additional ten man hours required for design, and two man hours per year for maintenance. An analysis of the tasks for design, installation, and maintenance for a typical solar system reveals that the solar tasks accounted for approximately 20 percent of the total task time. The remaining 80 percent of the tasks could be performed by solar-trained conventional tradesmen. To supply the required number of solar technicians and mechanics at a steady rate, a minimum of 4,000 workers must be trained every year to fulfill the increment in demand until 1985. (Appended material includes the contractors' survey form, the task inventory form, and task analysis information.) (LRA)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: Department of Energy, Washington, DC.
Authoring Institution: Navarro Coll., Corsicana, TX.
Identifiers: N/A
Note: Parts of this document will not reproduce well due to light and broken type. For related documents see ED 181 312-315 and ED 182 461.