NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED056777
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1971-Sep
Pages: 38
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Romper Room: An Analysis.
Barcus, F. Earle
Video-tape recordings of the Romper Room program carried by TV station WEMT, Bangor, Maine were examined in an attempt to classify and describe various program elements. Tapes were monitored to obtain descriptions of program activities and to focus on some of the commercial announcements. For the total week studied, more than one-third (36%) of all program time was spent in "toy play" which involved playing with, demonstrating, or exhibiting various brand-name manufactured toys in other than identifiable commercial announcements. Lessons were the second most frequent activity, followed by cartoons, games played without the aid of toys, reading aloud to children and miscellaneous talk by the hostess. Approximately 81 per cent of all time was "live" from the studio, with the remaining 19 per cent devoted to recorded material, comprised of film, cartoons, filmed commercials and credits. Formal commercial product announcements and program promotion ranged from 7 to 11 per cent of total time on various days and averaged to 9 percent for the week. However, if one includes toy play, in which toy products were prominently displayed and demonstrated, as well as commercial credits, plus all formal commercial announcements, then 47 per cent of the time for the week was devoted to commercial content. All of the toys which could be identified by manufacturer were Hasbrow or Romper Room toys. This pattern seems too outstanding to be mere coincidence. The author concludes on the basis of the data of this study, that a major purpose of the program is to promote its toy products. A related study is EM 009 321 announced in RIEFEB72. (Author/MK)
Publication Type: N/A
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: N/A
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Boston Univ., MA. School of Public Communication.
Identifiers: Romper Room
Note: Prepared for Action for Children's Television