ERIC Number: ED021183
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1966
Reference Count: N/A
A History of the Extension Division, Rutgers-The State University 1891-1965.
Dee, Frank Paul
Rutgers College began offering extension work in 1891 in agriculture, history, the arts, and scientific subjects. The Industrial Extension Division, established in 1925 and renamed the University Extension Division in 1927, was conducting college credit courses within a year of its founding; and, in 1934, University College was established as a part-time degree granting unit of the University. During World War II almost all of the Extension staff transferred to the College of Engineering where they administered the Engineering, Science, and Management War Training Program, subsidized by the Federal government, in which free courses were conducted for employees doing defense work in industrial plants. From 1940 to 1945 over 40,000 students were trained in 200 subjects, under the provisions of the National Defense Act of 1940. Some general extension courses were also conducted but they were limited by staff shortages. Since the end of World War II extension work at Rutgers has proliferated. Courses offered at four extension centers and conferences in special subject areas have reached almost 20,000 persons each year and contribute greatly to the image of Rutgers as The State University. (author/aj)
Descriptors: Adult Education, Adult Programs, Doctoral Dissertations, Extension Education, History, State Universities
University Microfilms, 300 Zeeb Rd., Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48106 (Order No. 67-6399, MF $3.35, Xerography $11.70).
Publication Type: N/A
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: Rutgers, The State Univ., New Brunswick, NJ.
Identifiers: Rutgers the State University NJ
Note: Ed. D. thesis.